Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Arrival by Shaun Tan (Author and Illustrator)


Published in 2006

Shaun Tan's book The Arrival is one of the most beautifully illustrated books I've ever read, but as far as the story goes, there were too many allusions that I just didn't understand. I read the book with no prior knowledge about Shaun Tan and his work, so I feel I need a little help to truly appreciate his work. I understood the basic plot about immigrants coming to this country, but I didn't really understand all the strange creatures that appear throughout the story. I wasn't sure whether the story was serious or humorous. I found it rather confusing.

I appreciate Tan's note at the end of the story that explains several scenes regarding the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 and Ellis Island, but I felt like I needed words to connect me with the images. I enjoyed perusing Tan's website more than reading (looking?) at his book.

Shaun Tan's Website
Image Source

No comments:

Post a Comment